Transferring the first seedlings

Back in March I added some seeds to my propagator, and some of them had started to grow tall enough to move to a larger pot. Today, I decided to move out the rest of the growers to let me recycle the propagator with another round of seeds.

The sunflowers appear to be growing the best. The peppers did not grow at all – in fact they failed with such a high failure rate it must have been something about the conditions I gave them that they didn’t like. The tomatoes have been moved to larger pots with bambo to climb. This all happened before today, leaving only the nasturtium and remaining marigolds behind.

The first of the videos I hope to add to this blog. It’s entirely out of focus.

Pots one through four has nasturtium in them. Having looked again the the packet, nasturtium looks like it could be grown quite closely together, so I possibly could have gotten away with two in each pot. Number four actually has two nasturtium in, as one was kind of weedy.

In number five I packed a couple of the lesser grown marigolds.

Despite what I said in the video, I didn’t use Black Plastic Pot for the marigolds, but I did pack them all into Grey French Bucket. A smaller vesel, but BPP seemed too big to fill with soil for those tiny plants. The marigolds are tightly packed now, with only a few centimeters between each. I’m assuming that fine. We’ll find out. (“I’m assuming that’s fine… We’ll find out.” should be the tagline of this blog.)

All the repotted plants are now in Tiny Greenhouse.

As a bonus piece of news, as mentioned in the video, I bought a potting table from Wayfair. I think I only paid around £32 for it, so it’s quite cheap. The assembly instructions recommend a drill and two people, but I managed it on my own with only a screwdriver and a bit of creative positioning. It hasn’t fallen over yet.

In the bin!

I’ve never been more excited to have a new bin.* I’m now the proud owner of a brown bin from the council to put my weeds in! Looks at this lovely trio. I couldn’t be more proud of them.

To get them from my council there’s a £30 (or so) a year charge, but I’ve got so many weeds to throw away that this’ll come very much in handy. Especially as we’ve no car to take this kind of rubbish away. (And Tim won’t let me use an incinerator in the garden!)

Maybe don’t do this. There needs to be more drainage.

My only other plan was to “mulch” down the weeds, which I’d heard was a thing. My methodology wasn’t going quite as well as expected though; leaving the weeds under a piece of tarp just made them damp and quite smelly.

*Until today when my bread bin arrived!

An update on what the primary focus area looks like

This is one of Tim’s pictures

This has been where I’ve spent most of my time. Starting small, and trying to see the impact on just one area.

Previously, this was fully of weeds of all kinds and most bare clay! I’ve thrown lots of soil on top of this, and started off some things growing; there’s a lavender there, a tomato plant under a Dr Pepper bottle (an experiment), some pansies waiting to be buried, and a few other things which I’ve immediately forgotten.

Hopefully, one of the purposes of this blog will be for me to keep track of what I’m growing, and where!

A beautiful and unknown plant…

A quick trip into a garden centre “just to look around” meant us leaving with quite a lot of things. One of the things was this plant.

Unfortunately, we’ve no idea what it is. I’ve been watering it when it looks dry – but that might be too much or not enough.

It was skinny and curly like this when we bought it, so I’m assuming this is how it’s supposed to be. It’s such an impressive plant – not quite like anything I’ve seen before.

It seems to have lost its label along the way back home.

If anyone knows, it’d be great to be able to look it up!

Late night sowing

This system of laying out the seed packets and then taking a photo of them isn’t the wisest. I’m assuming that the last three are marigolds and the three before that are nasturtium, but who knows. The two columns in the middle could be anything.

I made quite the effort to just get one seed in each pot to begin with. However, I got bored of that rather quickly and just started dashing them into thumble-sized holes.

These are going to live in my conservatory for the next few weeks. The conservatory gets rather warm during the day, but almost as cold as outside during the night. So, I’m not entirely sure they’ll survive a late March cold snap, but we’ll see.

Soil. Lots of soil.

There’s a surprising amount of soil in one of these, even considering its weight and size!

This will be used as top soil for the area I’ve started to weed out and plant new things.

As a note of warning, the Ikea bag absolutely isn’t the right tool for this job. The handled immediately broke on trying to lift it.

You should use some sort of bag if you’re taking this home with you in a taxi though – like we did. These large bags can be quite dirty and the driver won’t be pleased having it in their boot. Worse, B&Q don’t have any bags of suitable size for this kind of thing, so be sure to bring your own.

It occurs to me now that this quite clearly says ‘compost’. I’ve no idea if it’s appropriate to use as a top soil, in the way that I am.